Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Sharing Canadian Thanksgiving

Yesterday, October 14, was Canadian Thanksgiving.  I hadn't realized it was Canadian Thanksgiving until last week when I heard students talking about having the day off.  Jeff, Cameron and I were very fortunate to be invited to the home of two Montrealers, Deena and David, where we were served a wonderful vegetarian meal and had a great conversation.  Here's a photo of us all.

Jeff, Cameron and I have started going to the Unitarian Church of Montreal.  Cameron goes to the Sunday School classes there.  This past Sunday, the day before Thanksgiving, the kids talked about what they are thankful for:

On Thanksgiving Day, I watched a segment on the CBC news about a program called Sharing Thanksgiving in which new Canadian citizens are invited to join other Canadian families for Thanksgiving dinner.  It looked like a really neighborly and welcoming program.  Below are some photos I took from the news segment about this tradition.



 

 

 

 


I spoke to a colleague at Concordia about his Thanksgiving and he told me he was from the small community in Rigaud, outside of Montreal, which has a Festival of Colors on Thanksgiving weekend that draws thousands.  I found a like online with some photos of that countryside which is quite beautiful:
http://www.bonjourquebec.com/qc-en/events-directory/festival-special-event/festival-des-couleurs-de-rigaud_34031029.html


No comments:

Post a Comment